POST TIME: 16 August, 2019 00:00 00 AM
Police investigate assault on RUET teacher
Our Correspondent, RU

Police investigate assault on RUET teacher

Boalia police are investigating the assault on a teacher of Rajshahi University of Engineering and Technology (RUET) by a group of miscreants.   The teacher was beaten black and blue for protesting his wife's sexual harassment at Sonadigir Moor of Saheb Bazar in the city on Friday.

The incident came to light via a Facebook post by Md Rashidul Islam, an assistant professor in the electrical and electronics engineering (EEE) department of RUET, which went viral and generated a firestorm of comments condemning the attack.

Other than mentioning the incident through a Facebook post, the assaulted teacher has, however, kept his mum and is yet to file any complaint with the police regarding the incident. “The police have visited the scene and collected CCTV footage to identify the attackers,” said Boalia police station officer-in-charge Nibaron Chandra Burman.

The law enforcers have started investigating the incident after recording a general diary based on a complaint filed by Nurul Haque, father-in-law of Rashidul, he added. The RUET Teachers’ Association (RUETTA) also expressed grave concern over the assault and condemned the incident.

RUETTA president Prof SM Abdur Razzak said, "The executive committee of the organisation will decide the course of action to ensure justice for Rashidul." Razzak also said Rashidul received a cut on his face and bruises all over his body. “We can't imagine that such an incident could take place at the heart of the town,” he added.

In his Facebook post, which has since been shared over 5,000 times, Rashidul has written that the incident occurred while he was walking with his wife in front of Sona Dighi Mosque on Friday afternoon. A group of youths had been harassing the couple for some time. One of them shoved Rashidul's wife thrice and tried to do the same for the fourth time. When the RUET teacher protested, the stalkers began beating him up.

“Some five to seven youths were assaulting me while at least 50 others were watching. I cried for help and no one responded,” he wrote.