POST TIME: 9 March, 2018 00:00 00 AM
Zafar Iqbal’s attacker on 10-day remand
Staff Reporter

Zafar Iqbal’s attacker on
10-day remand

A Sylhet court yesterday placed Foyzur Rahman on a 10-day remand in a case filed in connection with the stabbing of Prof. Muhammed Zafar Iqbal. The police brought Foyzur to the Sylhet city metropolitan magistrate's court around 2.30pm on Wednesday.  The judge granted the police plea of a 10-day remand for Foyzur, who faces an attempt to murder charge for his attack on Prof. Zafar Iqbal. On March 3, Foyzur was caught red-handed after he stabbed Prof. Zafar Iqbal on the Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST) campus. Shafiqul Islam, officer-in-charge of Jalalabad police station, confirmed the remand to The Independent.

Earlier, Foyzur was discharged from the Sylhet Osmani Hospital around 11am. Police sources said Foyzur had been hospitalised for treatment. Law enforcement officials questioned him in the hospital and claimed to have gathered vital information regarding the attack.

During initial interrogation, Foyzur admitted to having attacked Prof. Zafar Iqbal at the behest of an extremist forum called ‘Daawah Ilallah’. The group used to discuss the ways to kill Prof. Zafar Iqbal’s, he is said to have told the interrogators.

The officials said Dawah Ilallah is an online forum of the banned Ansarullah Bengali Team and Ansar al Islam in Bangladesh.

Golam Kibria, police commissioner of Sylhet division, said the police came to know where Foyzur had been roaming prior to the attack, where he had bought the commando knife, and when he had planned to carry out the attack.

He also said a search operation was on to identify and arrest Foyzur’s associates.

Earlier, RAB said that Foyzur subscribed to a militant ideology. The nature of the attack and the information gathered from Foyzur during interrogation pointed towards a militant motive.

Javed Patawary, inspector general of police (IGP), said it appeared from the information collected so far that Foyzur had carried out the attack after going through a process of self-radicalisation. Prof. Zafar Iqbal, a faculty member of the computer science and engineering department at SUST, came under attack when he was attending a programme on the SUST campus.

Zafar Iqbal was flown to the Combined Military Hospital (CMH) in Dhaka by an air-ambulance after the attack. He is now said to be recovering and has been shifted to a cabin from the hospital’s intensive care unit (ICU).