Tuesday 18 February 2020 ,
Tuesday 18 February 2020 ,
Latest News
  • Quarantine on cruise ship in Japan comes under question
  • Seeking parole a matter of Khaleda, her family: Fakhrul
  • Dhaka welcomes Kathmandu’s proposal to use Saidpur Airport
  • Narayanganj gas fire: Another dies at DMCH
  • Kaptai boat capsize: Bodies of mother, son retrieved after 5 days
  • ECNEC approves project to enhance Mongla Port’s capacity with Tk 6,014.62cr
  • Coronavirus Outbreak: Death toll hits 1,868
  • Set up breast feeding corner at all factories: HC
  • China releases largest study on Covid-19 outbreak
29 January, 2020 00:00 00 AM / LAST MODIFIED: 29 January, 2020 01:19:06 AM
Print

No coronavirus case in country

Says health minister
SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT, Dhaka

The government has advised people not to worry about the coronavirus spreading from China and stressed that the virus has not reached Bangladesh so far. Health and family welfare minister Zahid Maleque said the government had taken every preventive measure and there was no cause for panic. He, however, said there was every reason to be careful. He was talking to reporters after an inter-ministerial meeting held at the Secretariat yesterday. Health secretary Asadul Islam, representatives of home, public administration, foreign affairs,  aviation, and tourism ministries, as well as of different departments, attended the meeting. Chinese citizens working  in various establishments in Bangladesh are being kept under special surveillance, the minister said. “We have already opened special wards at Kurmitola and Infectious Diseases Hospital to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. At least 200 physicians at Kurmitola Hospital are being trained as per the WHO guidelines. These guidelines have already been sent to all hospitals across the country,” he added.

“The virus would be prevented from entering the country. So, we are monitoring seaports, land ports, and river ports by setting up scanners. Besides, hand scanners are also being provided,” the health minister said. The departments concerned are keeping a close eye on airports with the full cooperation of the civil aviation department, he added.

He also said that those coming from China were being closely monitored. Such observation would continue for up to 14 days as the coronavirus symptoms appear 14 days after an attack, he added.

Moreover, separate wards have been opened at the Kurmitola Hospital and Infectious Disease Hospital to treat infected persons if they enter the country, he said.

“If a patient is identified, treatment will be provided at these hospitals. We have already appointed the necessary staff there. Besides, directives have already been given to every district civil surgeon, deputy commissioner, and police super to be cautious about the virus,” Maleque added.

The government has discouraged Bangladeshis from travelling to China in recent days, the minister said, adding that there are 300 Bangladeshi students in China’s Wuhan. But no one has been infected with the coronavirus there, he added.

The Prime Minister has already said that the students would be brought back if they want to return. But the health minister said the Chinese government was not allowing anyone to leave.

A total of 2,805 people have come to Bangladesh from China through airports in the last 15 days, while a total of 7,570 Chinese citizens left Bangladesh for China during the same period.

Meanwhile, Foreign Minister AK Abdul Momen at a workshop on ‘Implementation of the Third Universal Periodic Review (UPR) of Bangladesh’ in the capital yesterday said Bangladesh is in touch with Chinese government what can be done to bring back around 500 Bangladeshi students to home if they want amid the outbreak of coronavirus.

“It’s an unknown virus. No vaccine has been invented yet. So I would tell to remain careful while visiting China,” he added.

Law Minister Anisul Huq and foreign secretary Masud Bin Momen were also present at the workshop. Law minister said Bangladesh has set the example of the protection of human rights by giving shelters to the Rohingyas.

Anisul Huq also mentioned that the assassination of Bangabandhu in 1975 is the biggest incident of the violation of human rights.

 

Comments

More Front Page stories

Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting