Tuesday 18 February 2020 ,
Tuesday 18 February 2020 ,
Latest News
  • One judge for 1 lakh people in country: Minister
  • China urges Bangladesh not to go for other countries
  • Mobile radiation is not harmful to health: BTRC
  • Prothom Alo Editor granted bail over Abrar’s death instance
  • One dead, Seven wounded in Narayanganj fire
  • Coronavirus death toll jumps to 1,770
  • Shun mindset of running after jobs: PM
  • Chinese, local suspects hospitalised in two dists
26 January, 2020 00:00 00 AM
Print

Iran raid left ‘34 US troops with traumatic brain injuries’

BBC, London

The Pentagon has said that 34 US troops were diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries (TBI) following an Iranian attack on their base in Iraq. Seventeen troops are still under medical observation, a spokesman said. President Donald Trump had said no Americans were injured in the 8 January strike, which came in retaliation for the US killing of an Iranian general.

Mr Trump had cited the supposed lack of injuries in his decision not to strike back against Iran. But last week, the Pentagon said 11 service members had been treated for concussion symptoms from the attack. Asked about the apparent discrepancy this week at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Mr Trump said: "I heard that they had headaches, and a couple of other things, but I would say, and I can report, it's

not very serious." "I don't consider them very serious injuries relative to other injuries I have seen,” he said when asked about possible TBIs.
The Pentagon says no Americans were killed in the Iranian missile strike on the Ain al-Asad base, with most sheltering in bunkers as missiles rained down.
On Friday, defence department spokesman Jonathan Hoffman told reporters that eight of the affected soldiers have been sent back to the US for further treatment, while another nine are being treated in Germany. Sixteen troops were treated in Iraq and one in Kuwait before all 17 were returned to active duty, officials say.
Mr Hoffman added that the US Defence Secretary Mark Esper had not immediately been aware of the injuries in the days after the attack.
 Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America, a non-profit organisation, slammed the Trump administration for taking so long to reveal the extent of casualties.
“This is a big deal,” its founder Paul Rieckhoff tweeted. “The American people must be able to trust the government to share information about our sons and daughters in harms way. Nothing is more serious and sacred.”

Comments


Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting