Wednesday 19 February 2020 ,
Wednesday 19 February 2020 ,
Latest News
  • PM declares “zero-tolerance” against rapists
  • Wasa’s tariff-hike proposal irrational: TIB
  • 6th JS session prorogued
  • Khaleda seeks bail again
  • Quarantine on cruise ship in Japan comes under question
  • Seeking parole a matter of Khaleda, her family: Fakhrul
  • Dhaka welcomes Kathmandu’s proposal to use Saidpur Airport
  • Narayanganj gas fire: Another dies at DMCH
  • Kaptai boat capsize: Bodies of mother, son retrieved after 5 days
  • ECNEC approves project to enhance Mongla Port’s capacity with Tk 6,014.62cr
  • WHO urges calm as China virus death toll nears 1,900
  • Set up breast feeding corner at all factories: HC
  • China releases largest study on Covid-19 outbreak
18 October, 2019 00:00 00 AM
Print

35 foreigners dead in Saudi bus crash

AFP, Riyadh

Thirty-five foreigners were killed and four others injured when a bus collided with another heavy vehicle near the Muslim holy city of Medina, Saudi state media said yesterday. The accident on Wednesday evening involved a collision between "a private chartered bus... with a heavy vehicle" near the western city, a spokesman for Medina police said, according to the official Saudi Press Agency.

Those involved were Arab and Asian pilgrims travelling from Medina to Mecca, according to local media, which carried pictures of the bus engulfed in flames and with its windows blown out. The injured have been transferred to Al-Hamna Hospital, SPA added. Authorities have launched an investigation. The Okaz newspaper said that the victims were expatriates who lived in the kingdom and who were performing the umrah -- the lesser pilgrimage to the

Muslim holy places, which can be undertaken year round. This year some 2.5 million faithful travelled to Saudi Arabia from across the world in August to take part in the annual hajj pilgrimage — one of the five pillars of Islam. The hajj and the umrah centre on Mecca and its surrounding hills and valleys, in the west of the kingdom, but the itinerary also often takes in the other holy city of Medina.

Last year, a high-speed train line was opened linking Mecca and Medina in just two and a half hours, halving the previous travel time. Prince Faisal bin Salman, the governor of Medina region, expressed his condolences to the families of the victims, SPA said. The nationalities of the victims was not known but Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi also sent his condolences.

 

Comments

Most Viewed
Digital Edition
Archive
SunMonTueWedThuFri Sat
01
02030405060708
09101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829

Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting