Tuesday 23 July 2019 ,
Tuesday 23 July 2019 ,
Latest News
  • DU students continue protest demanding ending ties with 7 colleges for 3rd day
  • DENGUE DANGER: 400 hospitalised a day in capital
  • LPG cylinders getting sold as scrap, creates problem for industry
  • Advance train ticket sale for Eid-ul-Azha from July 29
  • Flood situation improving; 8 Tangail upazilas in danger
20 March, 2019 00:00 00 AM / LAST MODIFIED: 19 March, 2019 11:21:17 PM
Print

Six bodies handed to families

AFP, Christchurch
Six bodies handed to families
Residents lay flowers at a memorial site for victims of the Christchurch mosque attacks, at an Islamic Centre in Kilbirnie, Wellington yesterday. AFP photo

The bodies of six of the Christchurch massacre victims have been released to their families after an anguished-filled delay, New Zealand police said yesterday, but they warned only a fraction of those killed had been fully identified. Police said that all 50 autopsies had been concluded but only "12 victims have been identified to the satisfaction of the Coroner". "Six of those identified victims have been returned to their families."

The delay has caused consternation among families of the dead, who would have liked to follow Islamic custom and bury their loved ones within 24 hours. Mohamed Safi, 23, whose father Matiullah Safi died in Al Noor mosque, earlier voiced frustration with officials for not giving grieving families any indication of when the bodies would be released. "There's nothing they are offering," the Afghan refugee said outside the family support centre in Christchurch.

“They are just saying they are doing their procedures, they are doing their process. “But what process? Why do I not know what you are going through to identify the body... Why am I not contacted as an immediate family member?”

The police said they were “acutely aware of frustrations by families associated with the length of time required for the identification process following Friday’s terror attack”. “We are also looking at any way to improve our communications with the families and ensure they are kept fully informed about what is happening.” “We are doing all we can to undertake this work as quickly as possible and return the victims to their loved ones.”

 

Comments

Poll
Today's Question »
State minister for power Nasrul Hamid yesterday said everyone to have access to electricity by June. Do you think the feat achievable by the timeframe?
 Yes
 No
 No Comment
Yes 48.5%
No 47.5%
No Comment 4.0%
Most Viewed
Digital Edition
Archive
SunMonTueWedThuFri Sat
010203040506
07080910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031

Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting