Nowadays, home gardening has become a very popular thing in Dhaka city. Many people are focusing on it. For getting a good harvest from the home garden, the gardener must take care of his plants properly. Water is one of the essential things for plants. However, when the gardener will go out for 3 or 4 days who will water the plant? A self-water plant is a solution for it.
Self-watering pots provide necessary water to plants when they need it. Here, a gardener does not need to water his or her plant every day. The plant receives water by itself. If we give enough water to the pot at one time, plants will not need water for the next 15-20 days. Through this process, we can directly give water to the roots. Soil and roots will get the proper moisturizer.
How a self-watering pot works: There are two parts to it. In the top part, we will keep the plant. Moreover, at the bottom, we will keep the water. It is called a water storage space.
A self-watering has:
1. Plants pots or containers
2. Water overflow holes
3. Water reservoir
4. Water level indicator
6. Drainage hole
In the beginning, we have to fill enough water storage space. If we give excessive water, it will go away through water overflow holes. Soil will take the water from the bottom. Plants will get exact moisture if the water reservoir remains filled. So, we must not keep it dry. Water reservoir also helps to save water from waste. In a self-watering pot, the water stays out of the sunlight and wind. That is why it takes a long time to evaporate water.
How to make self-watering pots in the home: We can buy various types of self-watering pots from stores. We can also make our own self-watering pot in the home according to our own shape and price range.
If someone wants to make a self-watering pot then he or she has to follow the following steps. If it is a plastic bottle, things that we need are:
1. Thick jute rope
2. Plastic bottle with cap
3. Knife/plastic cutting machine
At first, take a plastic bottle, where the plant will grow. Then select a bottle according to our plant’s size. Then cut the bottle from middle and divide it into two pieces. Now take the cap of the bottle. Make a hole in the cap.
Now, take a thick jute rope. Tie the rope in the cap. Now keep the cap with the rope in the bottle like before. As we divide the bottle into two parts, so we will keep the cap in the upper part of the bottle. Rope’s length must be longer than the bottle.
Fill water, in the lower part of the bottle. Fill soil in the upper part and plant the selected tree. Keep the upper part of the bottle into its lower part. The rope must touch the water. In this way, plant’s root will absorb water. But the upper part should not touch the water. We must maintain at least 3-4 inch distance between them.
Now the gardener does not need to give water in the plant for 2 or 3 weeks. Sometimes watering depends on the plant's characteristics also.
We can also use glass bottles. In that case, things that we need are:
1. A glass bottle with cap
Take a clean glass bottle. The bottle must have an aluminium cap. Remove the plastic from the cap if there exists any. Make 4-5 small holes in the cap. Fill the bottle with water. Keep the cap in its place. Now dig a hole in the soil. Next, put in the top part of the bottle in the soil. Water will come slowly into the soil from the cap’s holes. We have to refill the bottle when it will be empty. Refill time depend on the size of the bottle. Most of the time, its duration is one week. This glass bottle method is better than a plastic bottle. It is long-lasting.
Anyone can follow the self-watering method in his or her plants. It increases the attractiveness of home, office and schools.
The benefits of self-watering pot: We know that watering is an important thing for plants. However, excessive water is harmful. Most of the time, we suffer from this problem. If we use self-watering pot, the plant will get the exact amount of water. It is very helpful to grow many plants, especially vegetables. It improves the plant’s health and productivity. Because plants take everything to grow fast as they need. There are many more advantages of it. These are:
• It saves water (70%) and essential elements of soil
• Provide proper moisture to the soil
• It provides a consistent supply of water in the plants.
• Fewer chances of diseases and fungal attack.
Why a gardener will choose self-watering pots:
There are many reasons, why a gardener will choose self-watering pot for providing water in their plants. Such as:
• Many people love to plant trees inside the home. However, this is very difficult for some people for watering them inside the home. Because of this problem, some people do not want to plant trees inside the home. For them, this method will give them relief.
• Nowadays many new people are interested in gardening. Therefore, they do not know everything about the plant’s care. Self-watering is very helpful for them. Because it helps to increase health and productivity of plants.
• Some gardeners do not know how to give water in the plant. Water is an essential thing but too much water is not. In fact, we cannot give water in the plants anytime. Therefore, for them this process is perfect to apply.
• Because of working pressures and busy lifestyle, sometimes we forget to give water in the plants. Some people thought, they could not take care of their plants properly. That is why they never plant trees. For those kinds of people, self-watering is the best solution. They can easily plant trees without having any trouble.
• If we go out for a trip for some days this pot will provide water to plants.
Disadvantages with self-watering pots: This pot is not appropriate for every plant. Specially, for the desert plant self-watering is not a good option. Those types of plants require dry soil. Cactus, rosemary, orchid and cacti are some of those plants; they never grow well in a self-watering pot. They cannot take too much water and prefer dry soil. In the rainy season, this pot does not work well because of the humidity in the air. If a gardener follows this method then he or she must avoid giving liquid manure in the soil.
The writer is a student. Department of Organization Strategy & Leadership, University of Dhaka