Wednesday 24 October 2018 ,
Wednesday 24 October 2018 ,
Latest News
  • PM prefers unchanged cabinet ahead of election
  • Have no desire to contest polls or to get any state post: Dr Kamal
  • Rohingya repatriation efforts could start early 2019: Malaysian FM
  • Quader rejects Oikyafront’s demand
  • US to continue call on Myanmar for safe return of Rohingyas: Wells
11 October, 2018 01:54:38 PM
Print

Bollywood director denies #MeToo claims, threatens filmmakers

Independent Online Desk/AFP
Bollywood director denies #MeToo claims, threatens filmmakers
The year-old #MeToo movement has finally gathered steam in India, sparked by claims made by actress Tanushree Dutta against a well-known Bollywood director

 

A prominent Bollywood director accuseof sexual harassment denied the allegations Wednesday as he threatened to sue two fellow filmmakers for defamation over the case which has helped fuel India’s #MeToo movement.

Vikas Bahl is accused of assaulting an employee of Phantom Films — an edgy production house behind Netflix’s first original Indian series, “Sacred Games” — in a hotel in 2015.

In accusations published on HuffPost India Saturday, the unnamed woman said Bahl had insisted on escorting her to her room and pretended to pass out
drunk on her bed, only to awaken and masturbate on her.

Anurag Kashyap and Vikramaditya Motwane, who along with Bahl and another filmmaker founded Phantom Films, released statements on Twitter later that
day backing the woman.

The report came after they had announced they were dissolving the production company on Friday.

Bahl, director of “Queen”, a 2014 hit movie about female empowerment, issued a denial through his lawyer on Wednesday in his first public statement
responding to the allegation.

A legal notice released to the media and seen by AFP said Bahl “denies all allegations”.

“Vikas Bahl issues defamation notice to Anurag Kashyap and Vikramaditya Motwane threatening civil and criminal action,” it added.

The notice accused Kashyap and Motwane of “professional rivalry and jealously” and of trying to jeopardise the release of Bahl’s upcoming film “Super 30”.

It called for them to withdraw the claims and issue an apology or face being sued.

The year-old #MeToo movement has finally gathered steam in India in recent days with Bollywood figures, a government minister, several comedians and top
journalists among those accused of abusing their positions to behave improperly towards women.

The spark was Hindi film actress Tanushree Dutta, who in a recent interview accused well-known Bollywood actor Nana Patekar of inappropriate behaviour on a film set 10 years ago. He denies the allegations.

A Mumbai comedian, Utsav Chakraborty, last week found himself at the centre of a Twitter storm accusing him of sending lewd messages and requests
for topless photos to women and young girls. He later apologised.

The HuffPost article on Bahl appeared before a host of women journalists accused M. J Akbar, a well-known former editor and now a junior foreign minister in Narendra Modi’s government of sexual harassment.

Akbar is yet to comment publicly on the allegations and the government is  yet to issue a response.

On Monday, writer and producer Vinta Nanda accused veteran film actor Alok Nath of raping her 19 years ago.

“Neither I am denying this nor do I would agree with it. It (rape) must have happened, but someone else would have done it,” Nath told an Indian news channel.

HM

Comments

Poll
Today's Question »
DU authorities have decided to take the 'Gha' unit admission test under Social Sciences faculty afresh amid allegations of question paper leak. Do you support this move?
 Yes
 No
 No Comment
Yes 90.5%
No 4.8%
No Comment 4.8%
Video
More Entertainment Stories
Happy birthday, Pori Moni Popular actress Pori Moni will celebrate her birthday today. DhakaLive has news that the actress will be spending the afternoon in an underprivileged child care centre in the capital. Later, in the evening, she will celebrate the…

Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting