Thursday 21 February 2019 ,
Thursday 21 February 2019 ,
Latest News
  • Shamima not a Bangladeshi citizen; no entry for her: Dhaka
  • Provide proper treatment to Chawkbazar fire victims: PM
  • probe body formed over Chawkbazar fire
  • Chawkbazar fire death toll rises to 70
19 September, 2018 12:30:04 PM
Print

Qatar Airways files $69 million annual loss

Independent Online Desk
Qatar Airways files $69 million annual loss

Qatar Airways on Tuesday posted a net loss of over $69 million in the year to March 2018, blaming the "illegal blockade" against Doha by a Saudi-led bloc of countries.

The tiny Gulf emirate's national airline said the period had been "the most challenging year in its 20-year history".

Saudi Arabia and its allies broke off diplomatic relations with gas-rich Qatar on June 5, 2017.

They closed all land, sea and air links with the emirate over its alleged proximity to Saudi Arabia's arch-enemy Iran and support for radical Islamist groups.

Qatar has refuted the accusations, saying its Gulf Arab rivals are trying to seize control of Doha's foreign policy.

In a statement, Qatar Airways said the blockade had directly impacted its revenues, slashing seat occupancy on flights leaving Qatar by some 19 percent.

It said its fleet had been forced to ply longer routes, raising fuel costs, as well as cancelling flights to 18 destinations.

The airline opened 14 new routes over the period but said they came with launch costs and warned that establishing a presence in new markets would take time.

Its losses came despite a seven percent rise in revenues.

That came after a bumper period in the financial year prior to the crisis, posting a 22 percent rise in net profits for 2016-2017.

"This turbulent year has inevitably had an impact on our financial results, which reflect the negative effect the illegal blockade has had on our airline," said the group's chief executive Akbar Al Baker.

However, he said, "the impact has been minimised -- and has certainly not been as negative as our neighbouring countries may have hoped for."AFP.

KK

Comments

Poll
Today's Question »
State minister for power Nasrul Hamid yesterday said everyone to have access to electricity by June. Do you think the feat achievable by the timeframe?
 Yes
 No
 No Comment
Yes 55.3%
No 40.9%
No Comment 3.9%
Video
More Business Stories

Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting