Monday 23 July 2018 ,
Monday 23 July 2018 ,
Latest News
  • Despite PM’s warning, BCL attack on quota reformists
  • Terrifying situation in 3 cities ahead of polls: Rizvi
  • Mahmudur Rahman hurt in Kushtia attack
  • Rajshahi BNP leader held over crude bomb attack at rally
  • BNP slams govt over attack on Mahmudur
  • PM warns BCL for doing excesses over quota issue: Quader
  • Slow internet likely on July 25-30
16 April, 2018 12:36:23 AM / LAST MODIFIED: 16 April, 2018 09:33:00 AM
Print

‘Unprecedented’ Western strikes against Syria regime

AFP
‘Unprecedented’ Western strikes against Syria regime
Syrian soldiers inspect the wreckage of a building described as part of the Scientific Studies and Research Centre in Barzeh, north of Damascus, during a press tour organised by Syrian information ministry on Saturday. AFP PHOTO

International inspectors were to begin work yesterday at the site near Damascus of an alleged chemical attack that prompted an unprecedented wave of Western strikes against Syria's regime, reports AFP from Damascus. US, French and British missiles destroyed sites suspected of hosting chemical weapons development and storage facilities, but the buildings were mostly empty and the Western trio swiftly reverted to its diplomatic efforts.

Washington trumpeted the "perfectly executed" strike, the biggest international attack on President Bashar al-Assad's regime during Syria's seven-year war, but both Damascus and Syria's opposition rubbished its impact. Assad yesterday denounced a "campaign of deceit and lies at the (United Nations) Security Council" after a push by Moscow to condemn the strikes fell far short.

Syria and its Russian ally are "waging a single battle -- not only against terrorism, but also to protect international law based on the respect of the sovereignty of states and the will of their people", Assad's office quoted him saying during a meeting with Russian politicians.

A team of chemical experts from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, based in The Hague, arrived in Damascus hours after the strikes.

They have been tasked with investigating the site of an April 7 attack in the town of Douma, just east of the capital Damascus, which Western powers said involved chlorine and sarin and killed dozens.

"The fact-finding team arrived in Damascus on Saturday and is due to go to Douma on Sunday," Syria's Deputy Foreign Minister Ayman Soussan told AFP.

"We will ensure they can work professionally, objectively, impartially and free of any pressure," he said, adding he was confident the experts would prove chemical weapons were never used.

The OPCW itself had declared that the Syrian government's chemical weapons stockpile had been removed in 2014, only to confirm later that sarin was used in a 2017 attack in the northern town of Khan Sheikhun.

The inspectors will face a difficult task, with all key players having pre-empted their findings, including Western powers, which justified the strikes by claiming they already had proof such weapons were used.

The OPCW team will also have to deal with the risk that evidence may have been removed from the site, which lies in an area that has been controlled by Russian military police and Syrian forces over the past week.

"That possibility always has to be taken into account, and investigators will look for evidence that shows whether the incident site

has been tampered with,” said Ralf Trapp, a consultant and member of a previous OPCW mission to Syria.

The Syrian military late Saturday declared Eastern Ghouta, the former rebel enclave of which Douma is the main town, fully retaken after a blistering two-month assault.

Wresting back the opposition stronghold on the doorstep of Damascus had been a priority for the resurgent regime.

Combined with the limited scope of Saturday’s strikes, the victory declaration triggered ecstatic editorials in state media. “Damascus came out more powerful and Bashar al-Assad is more than ever an Arab and international leader,” the pro-regime Al-Watan daily wrote.

US President Donald Trump hailed the pre-dawn strikes that lit up the sky around Damascus as “perfectly executed” and exclaimed “Mission Accomplished” on Twitter.

According to American officials, the operation involved three US destroyers, a French frigate and a US submarine located in the Red Sea, the Gulf and the eastern Mediterranean.

MK

 

Comments

Poll
Today's Question »
Awami League General Secretary Obaidul Quader said the next election will be held as per the constitution and there is no need of holding any dialogues. Do you agree?
 Yes
 No
 No Comment
Yes 0.0%
No 100.0%
No Comment 0.0%
Video
More World News Stories

Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting