POST TIME: 29 January, 2017 00:00 00 AM
‘Woman’s death not by accident, but a murder’

‘Woman’s death not by accident, but a murder’

The woman, whose body the police sent to the Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) morgue early yesterday saying that she had died in a road crash, was actually shot dead. Shahnaj Begum, who claimed to be the elder sister of the slain woman, said the victim's name was Rani, hailing from Sylhet district. She was divorced from her husband, Alam, five years ago. Rani had a son and a daughter—Shanto, 17, and Nandini, 6, who is physically challenged.
Shanto was living with his father Alam, who hails from Jamalpur district, while Nandini was staying with her mother at a rented house in the city’s Kuril area.
About what the deceased woman did for a living, Shanaj said Rani often left her house in the evening with heavy make-up and returned home in the morning. "Rani told us that she worked in an organisation," the sister said. Gulshan police station's sub-inspector Faruk Hossain, who found the body in front of house No. 38 of road No. 43 of Gulshan-2 around 11pm on Friday, said: ‘‘At first, I did not know that the woman had died of bullet wounds. As it was a woman's body, I could not check properly. I came to know today (Saturday) that her death was not caused by a road crash. It is actually a case of murder.’’
Describing the incident, Hossain said: "‘I was on patrol duty and was informed by the police station that a body was lying on the road. When I found the body, there was blood under the right shoulder and small injury marks were seen on the face. But there was no apparent bullet wound. This is why, I mentioned in the register book of the DMCH morgue that the woman might have died in a road crash. Later, I learnt that two bullets were lodged in the woman's body." Asked whether the police had found any CCTV footage of the killing, Hossain said there was no CCTV camera on the road.
Rani, aged around 35, was wearing salwar-kameez, said Rafiqul Islam, assistant commissioner (Gulshan Zone) of the Dhaka Metropolitan Police. "I think she was killed in another place and the body was dumped at Gulshan," he added. After the autopsy, Dr Sohel Mahmud, head of the forensic department, said two bullets were found inside the body. They have been removed and the body would be handed over to the police, he added.