POST TIME: 18 January, 2020 01:13:47 AM
2nd Phase of Biswa Ijtema begins

2nd Phase of Biswa Ijtema begins

Thousands of Muslim devotees take part in Jum’a prayers during the second phase of Biswa Ijtema on the banks of the Turag River at Tongi on the outskirts of the capital yesterday. Photo: Nazmul Islam

The second phase of the 55th Biswa Ijtema, the second largest congregation of Muslims, began yesterday morning on the bank of the Turag at Tongi, on the outskirts of Dhaka city, amid tight security. The proceedings began after the Fazr prayers with ‘Aam Bayan’ (general sermons) by Indian scholar Mawlana Cherag Ali. It would wrapped up with ‘Akheri Munajat’ (final prayer) tomorrow (January 19).

The followers of Maulana Saad Kandalvi, a Delhi-based member of the Tabligh Jamaat Supreme Council, are taking part in the event. Earlier, followers of Maulana Zubair Ahmed, the imam of Dhaka's Kakrail Mosque, the headquarters of Tabligh Jamaat’s Bangladesh chapter, attended the first phase of the congregation on January 10–12.

One devotee died due to

old-age complications at the Biswa Ijtema venue on Thursday night before the Ijtema began. The deceased was identified as Kazi Alauddin, 66, of Laxmipur Chanpur area of Sunamganj.

With him, a total of three devotees died in this phase of Biswa Ijtema so far. Deputy commissioner of Gazipur Metropolitan Police, Monjur Rahman, who is also in charge of the police control room of Biswa Ijtema, said that Alauddin had fallen ill at his ‘khita’ around 12 noon on Thursday. Later, he was taken to the local Shaheed Ahsan Ullah Master General Hospital, where the doctor declared him dead.

Eleven devotees have so far died due to cold and old-age complications in the first phase of Biswa Ijtema.

Several thousand of devotees from Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, India, Iraq, Turkey, and believers from Africa and America gathered on the banks of the Turag river at the religious event to seek divine blessings of the Almighty Allah, said Waseful Islam, the coordinator of Ijtema’s second phase.

Besides, additional policemen have been deployed in and around the Ijtema venue to ensure the security of the devotees from home and abroad. The venue has also been brought under CCTV surveillance, said Waseful.

Healthcare centres have been set up at different parts of the venue, along with first- aid and other treatment facilities, to provide healthcare services to the devotees.

More than two lakhs Muslims attended Jumu’ah, which is also known as the Friday Prayer. Maulana Mosharraf Hossen led the prayer.

Tablig Jamaat has been organising Ijtema at this venue since 1967. However, the event is being held in two phases since 2011 to ease the accommodation problem.