POST TIME: 19 November, 2019 00:00 00 AM / LAST MODIFIED: 18 November, 2019 11:41:55 PM
BUET seeks 2 weeks to meet demands
Our Correspondent, DU

BUET seeks 2 
weeks to meet demands

The Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) administration has sought 14 days' time to fulfill the three-point demands of students, including permanent expulsion of the accused named in the charge-sheet framed in connection with the murder of second-year student Abrar Fahad. A Dhaka court has accepted the charge-sheet filed against the 25 accused students.

The court also issued an arrest warrant against four—Zisan, Tanim, Morshed, and Mujtaba—who are still on the run and directed the police station concerned to submit a report on execution of the arrest warrant within December 3. Chief metropolitan magistrate (CMM)

Kaiserul Islam passed the order yesterday (Monday).

In the afternoon of the same day, BUET students held discussions with the vice-chancellor, Prof. Saiful Islam and student welfare department director Prof. Mizanur Rahman. Deans and teachers of various faculties were present at the meeting.  

“We had discussions with students at the VC’s office this afternoon. We told them that it can take up to three weeks to meet their demands. But we will try to get it done in two weeks. The VC also assured them,” said Prof. Mizanur Rahman.

Shirsha Sangshaptak, one of the spokespersons of the movement and a student of the urban & regional planning department, said at a press conference: “We have accepted the administration’s proposal. If they fulfil our demands within two weeks, we will appear for our coming term test.”

On November 14, students had said at a press conference that they would appear for the test on the condition that their demands would be fulfilled. Their demands are: permanent expulsion of the accused named in the charge-sheet; punishing the accused in the case of Ahsanullah, Titumir and Suhrawardy Hall’s ragging and torturing; and formulating a policy on banning organisation-based student politics and ragging, and adding it to the university Ordinance.

On November 13, the Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) charged 25 BUET students for Abrar”s murder.

Among the accused, 11 were directly involved in beating up Abrar in several phases which caused his death. The other 14 were indirectly involved in the incident, either by aiding, abetting or planning Abrar’s torture, and one of them was present at the place of occurrence

Twenty-one accused are behind bars. Eight of them have already confessed in court to their involvement in the murder, which had shocked the nation and sparked countrywide protests.

Abrar, 22, was found dead on a staircase of BUET’s Sher-e-Bangla Hall in the early hours of October 7, after he was taken to the dormitory’s Room No. 2011 around 8pm on October 6 and beaten up mercilessly by Chhatra League men late into the night.

Abrar’s father, Barkat Ullah, filed the murder case at Chawkbazar police station against 19 people, mostly leaders and activists of BUET’s Chhatra League unit.

Amid student protests, on October 11 the university banned all political activities on the campus and suspended 19 students accused in the case.