logo
POST TIME: 15 November, 2019 00:00 00 AM
Ceasefire takes hold after Israel-Gaza violence
AFP, Gaza City, Palestinian Territories

Ceasefire takes hold after  Israel-Gaza violence

Palestinians attend the funeral procession of members of the same family who were killed overnight in an Israeli airstrike yesterday in Deir al-Balah. AFP photo

A ceasefire between Israel and Palestinian militants in Gaza took hold yesterday after two days of fighting triggered by an Israeli strike on an Islamic Jihad commander, with 34 Palestinians killed in exchanges of fire. Both Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad and Israel’s military confirmed the ceasefire early Thursday brokered by Egyptian and UN officials—the usual mediators between Gaza and Israel.

Five rockets were fired at Israel from Gaza after the ceasefire came into effect and air defences intercepted two of them, the army said, but the incident did not appear likely to set off another severe round of fighting. “#Egypt and the #UN worked hard to prevent the most dangerous escalation in and around #Gaza from leading to #war,” tweeted Nickolay Mladenov, UN envoy for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, who travelled to Cairo for the talks.

“The coming hours and days will be critical. ALL must show maximum restraint and do their part to prevent bloodshed.” The agreement, which entered into force at 5:30 am (0330 GMT), came after the death toll from Israeli air strikes rose to 34 since Tuesday. Islamic Jihad claimed a number of the dead as members. Palestinian officials said eight members of the same family had been killed in an Israeli strike overnight, including five children.