POST TIME: 12 November, 2019 00:00 00 AM
News in Brief
Our Correspondent

News in Brief

Street boy found dead in capital

UNB, Dhaka

Police recovered the body of a street boy on Sunday night, a day after he had gone missing from Gulistan area.

The boy was identified as Sunny, 6, son of Sagor and Jhorna.

Anwar Hossain, assistant sub-inspector of Paltan Police Station’s Ahad Outpost, said they recovered Sunny’s body in front of the Olympic Building in Gulistan at around 10 pm.

The body was kept at Dhaka Medical College Hospital morgue for autopsy.

Quoting Sunny’s parents, Anwar said Sunny and his parents used to sleep in front of Gulistan Stadium Gate No. 3. Sunny’s father Sagor said his son went missing on Saturday evening.

Day labourer’s house gutted

UNB, Sylhet

The house of a day labourer was gutted in a fire at Baonpur Paschimpara village in Bishwanath upazila in Sylhet on Sunday.

Ashiqur Rahman, Khajanchi Union Bazar Committee general secretary, said the fire originated from an electric short-circuit at the house of Alkhas Ali in the area in the afternoon. Locals tried to douse the fire but could not save the house of the day labourer, he added.

Alkhas and seven members of his family are now forced to live under the sky.

Rama Prosad Chakbarty, officer-in-charge of Bishwanath Police Station, said he had not been informed about the fire but he will look into it.

6 burned as pick-up catches fire

UNB, Dhaka

Six people, including five children, suffered burn injuries as a pick-up caught fire during an Eid-e-Miladunnabi rally at Lalkhan Bazar in the city on Sunday noon.

The victims are Noor Nabi, 6, and Kausar, 20, sons of Monu Mia; Rafiqul Islam, 8, son of Jahangir Alam; Rifat, 12, son of Salauddin; Yamin, 9, son of Md Jakir, and Hridoy, 16, son of Siraj Mia.

Of them, Rifat received burns on 40 percent of his body while Rafiqul 15 percent. Witnesses said the rally was brought out on the occasion of Eid-e-Miladunnabi, the day of birth and demise of Prophet Hazrat Muhammad (SM).

Devotees in several hundred trucks, pick-ups and microbuses took part in the procession.

The fire broke out at the pick-up from the generator of the sound system kept on the vehicle, the witnesses said.