POST TIME: 12 November, 2019 00:00 00 AM
Prosecutor Tureen Afroz removed from ICT

Prosecutor Tureen Afroz removed from ICT

The government yesterday removed International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) prosecutor Tureen Afroz from her post for "violating discipline and committing serious professional misconduct". The law ministry issued a circular, signed by the deputy solicitor general, stating that Tureen Afroz has been removed from her post for "voplating discipline and professional conduct and committing serious misconduct".

The removal order would be effective from November 11, the notice said. It was alleged that senior prosecutor Tureen met war crimes accused, Muhammad Wahidul Haque, a former acting director general of the National Security Intelligence, at a hotel in the capital. She exchanged important information about the case. This happened a few months before the accused was arrested from his Baridhara residence in the capital.

Talking to reporters, law minister Anisul Huq said the allegations regarding the secret meeting of Tureen and a war crimes accused has been found to be true. The minister also said Tureen also made an objectionable and irresponsible comment while discussing important and confidential matter of the particular war crimes case against the accused. An investigation has been conducted against her about the issue and a report submitted. The government took action in line with the investigation report, he added.

However, Tureen insisted that she had conducted her duty with hundred per cent honesty. “I have not been involved in any misconduct or broken professional rules during professional work,” she said.

“I don’t know whether any committee was formed to investigate the allegations. I was not even given a chance to defend myself. I will tell whatever I want to say to the Prime Minister,” she added.

The removal order came one and a half years after she was withdrawn from duty by the chief prosecutor of the ICT, when he received the allegation that she had met a war crimes suspect before the person was arrested on April 24, 2018.

A letter, signed by chief prosecutor Ghulam Arief Tipoo, said Tureen held a meeting with war crimes accused and former acting director general of the NSI, Wahidul Haque,

at a hotel. Wahidul recorded the conversation between him and Tureen. The investigation agency and prosecution got a copy of the conversation.

On April 25, the ICT-1 sent Wahidul to jail in a case filed for allegedly committing crimes during the Liberation War in 1971.

Tureen, who earned much acclaim for her performance in dealing with war crimes cases, was removed by the chief prosecutor’s office, after allegations of meeting the war crimes accused were published in the media in May last year. On May 7 last year, Tureen was relieved of conducting the case against Wahid after allegations against her were received. Next day, she was withdrawn from conducting other war crimes cases.

She was appointed on February 20, 2013.