POST TIME: 9 November, 2019 00:00 00 AM
ACC turns down 93pc complaints sans probe

ACC turns down 93pc 
complaints sans probe

Ignorance and lack of awareness about the Anti-Corruption Commission Act are the main reasons for the accumulation of a huge number of complaints before the Commission, submitted by people seeking speedy action against corruption. Though the anti-graft body receives a large number of complaints every year, the commission rejects 92–93 per cent of them without conducting any investigation as those are not submitted properly, sources say.

Talking to this correspondent, ACC lawyer Advocate Khurshid Alam Khan said that people submitted a huge number of allegations before the commission. But after scrutinising the documents, the commission has to rule out investigations against most of the allegations as they are not submitted in accordance with the ACC Act.

“The ignorance and lack of awareness regarding the ACC Act are the main reasons for the submission of flawed complaints. The commission has no jurisdiction to conduct investigations into all cases, as stated by the ACC Act,” the senior ACC lawyer noted.

Records show that the ACC had received some 63,046 written allegations from across the country in the last four years. But the commission responded to only 4,408 during the same period as it had no jurisdiction to probe the rest of the incidents.

However, the commission sent all other allegations to the ministries or departments concerned for taking action to free the country of corruption, sources said.

ACC statistics show that the anti-graft body got some 15,497 allegations from January to September 30 this year, but it took up only 1,199 allegations for investigation. The commission received 16,606 allegations in 2018, but it accepted only 1,265 to run probes. It did not accept the rest of the 15,341 allegations as they were beyond the ACC Act’s scheduled offences.

In 2017, the ACC got 17,953 allegations. But the commission accepted only 937 for conducting probes, which is only 5 per cent of the total complaints.

The ACC got 12,990 allegations in 2016 but conducted investigations in 1,007 complaints.

ACC secretary Mohammad Delwar Bakth said the commission accepted only 8 per cent, while the rest 92 per cent remained unattended as they were beyond the commission’s schedule. He also said that the commission had certain limitations in conducting investigations on the basis of tip-offs. The ACC is

an organisation that does not have the scope to take any legal action on complaints that were outside the schedule of the ACC Act, he added.

Advocate Khurshid Alam Khan said there was a legal binding on the commission regarding the starting of investigations on receiving allegations. People must know about the norms of filing complaints before the commission, he added.

Giving an example of non-schedule allegations, the prominent lawyer said that if anyone submitted complaints regarding a land dispute and personal conflict, the commission would not conduct any investigations as such complaints did not fall under the ACC schedule.

People must file them before civil courts to get a remedy. So, everyone must know a bit about the ACC Act before filing complaints, he stressed.