POST TIME: 16 October, 2019 00:00 00 AM / LAST MODIFIED: 16 October, 2019 01:35:00 AM
WC Qualifier 2022
Bangladesh draw with India 1-1
Sports Reporter, Kolkata

Bangladesh draw with India 1-1

Bangladesh's Saad Uddin (R) celebrates after scoring a goal during their World Cup 2022 and 2023 AFC Asian Cup qualifying football match with India at the Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan in Kolkata yesterday. AFP photo

An eleventh hour strike from Adil Khan salvaged host India when Bangladesh were leading the nerve shattering encounter of the World Cup 2022 and the Asian Cup 2023 joint qualifiers match up to 88th minute yesterday. Held at the Yuba Bharati Stadium in Salk Lake of Kolkata, Saad Uddin led Bangladesh with a spectacular header at the late hour of the first half while Adil Ahmed blasted the equalizer on 88th minute to save India from a defeat. Though in all respect India are ahead of Bangladesh side, in the 90 minutes game yesterday the visitors were ahead of the hosts in creating scoring opportunities. Bangladesh were deprived of two certain goals when an Ibrahim’s 55th minute attempt was denied by cross piece and on the 73rd minute, when Jibon sent the ball into the open net over the advancing keeper, but was saved by Adil Khan just before the ball crossed the goal-line.

The epic encounter of the two neighbouring football rivals kicked off with Bangladesh breaking the Indian defense line down the left. Despite going into the danger zone, they could not utilize the beautiful move built up through the midfield, as Ibrahim tried to finish by himself rather than making a pass.

India, after getting rid of the early assault, did not take time to put up a strong response when the most dangerous man of the match, Sunil Chetri, was on-target on the fourth minute. But Bangladesh goalkeeper Ashraful Rana was on the line and easily gripped the ball.  Bangladesh, who were playing with some good technique while taking the counterattack strategy for most of the times, went very closer to take the lead when Biplu Ahmed snatched a ball from an Indian defender.  Biplu, after taking the ball possession entered into the D-box area and powered an angular right footer from inside the box but the Indian goalkeeper saved the shot at the cost of a corner on the 32nd minute.

India being rescued by goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh from conceding a goal, again reacted very sharply two minute later and this time they were just about to go ahead when Manpreet Singh took a good header on a throw-in of Rahul. Sohel Rana was quick to save it from the goal line on 34th minute.  Though Indian sides, backed by mostly their supporters among the 90 thousands packed stadium, were playing with dominance and threatening very often, Bangladesh rarely left any open space for their opponents’ forwards.

Bangladesh, despite playing under pressure were determined to give a strong reply to every attack from the either the sides and again opened scoring chance on the 38th minute. But the close range header of Ryadul narrowly missed the cross piece.   

Saad Uddin blasted his superb header to silence the crowds when Jamie’s side highlighted the gap in quality with the hosts three minute before halftime.  It was a 42nd minute’s quick move down the left that Bangladesh won a free kick some 10 yards away from the box. Captain Jamal Bhuiyan took an angular shot and Indian goalkeeper Gupreet Singh failed to read the flight of the ball. Saad did not miss his close range head work to the net (1-0).

Bangladesh were about to double their advantage but were very much unfortunate not to have the goal when having a long ball Jibon just sent it into the open net over the advancing goalkeeper, who he came out leaving the post wide open. But India certainly proved to be lucky as Adil Ahmed made a goal- line save on the 73rd minute.

India could have made an equaliser on the 75th minute but a strong header of Sunil Chetri went just outside the post. India kept the pressure on and finally denied Bangladesh’s win and this time Adil Ahmed, who rescued India from an almost certain goal nine minutes before, leveled the margin for India with a header on a corner from left flank on the 88th minute (1-1).