POST TIME: 22 July, 2019 00:00 00 AM
Zimbabwe pull out of Bangladesh tri-series
BCB to still wait 10 days for ZCB to take final decision

Zimbabwe pull out of
Bangladesh tri-series

Despite Zimbabwe Cricket Board (ZCB’s) pull-out decision from the forthcoming tri-nation series in Bangladesh, Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has decided to wait for the next 10 days for Zimbabwe.

After the end of the timeframe, the BCB will take their final decision regarding the next tri-series. BCB CEO Nizamuddin Chowdhury made the revelation at his BCB office of the Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium (SBNCS) in Mirpur yesterday.

“I had a discussion with the ZCB president and its CEO during the ICC board meeting in England. I talked with them as we have to make some arrangements to successfully organise the tournament especially media and other arrangements,” said Nizamuddin Chowdhury.

“During that discussion, they told us that they have needed some more times. Actually, between seven to 10 days, we hope that they could be informed us in which position they are in,” Chowdhury told media.

“But as the media release has been given from the ZCB come in July 21, we will fix our next course of action in the light of this media release. But as I talked with them, I will contact with them what their current situation and which condition they are in,” he added.

Media release further added that Zimbabwe will not travel to Bangladesh to play the tri-series with Afg

BCB CEO said that they included Zimbabwe in the Tri-series at the request of the ZCB. But he also said that they will play against Afghanistan as per the FTP commitment if Zimbabwe can’t take part in the series.

“Basically, Zimbabwe’s inclusion in the Tri-series happened at the request of the Zimbabwe Cricket Board (ZCB). And we’ve taken them to think that the tournament will also be more competitive and drew more viewers after Zimbabwe’s inclusion,” he said.

“Actually considering all things in mind, we’ve taken the decision. Again, I told you all that it was made by Zimbabwe Cricket Board (ZCB). And so, if Zimbabwe can’t take part, the commitment we have with Afghanistan that will be continued as per the FTP,” he added.

“It’s not a big deal. We had two-team commitment in FTP. Our broadcasters are aware of this,” he replied to a media query.

In addition, International Cricket Council (ICC) unanimously decided to suspend Zimbabwe Cricket Board (ZCB) for the interference of the government on the elected body of their cricket board.

As a consequence of suspension, ICC funding to Zimbabwe Cricket will be frozen and representative teams from Zimbabwe will not be allowed to participate in any ICC events.

Recently a government body that oversees the sport of the country suspended ZCB after allegations of corruption on June 22. The sports and recreation commission ordered the ZCB not to hold elections for leadership positions until an investigation was conducted but the board defied the order.

The ICC has directed that the elected Zimbabwe Cricket Board be reinstated to office within three months, and progress in this respect will be considered again at the October Board meeting.