logo
POST TIME: 20 March, 2019 00:00 00 AM
NZ mosque attacks
Govt now issues travel alert for Australia
DIPLOMATIC CORRESPONDENT, Dhaka

Govt now issues 
travel alert for Australia

Bangladesh government yesterday issued a travel alert for its citizens living in Australia and traveling to Australia following the recent terror attacks in New Zealand that killed five Bangladeshis  and 45 others. Earlier on Monday, the ministry of foreign affairs issued a travel alert for Bangladeshi nationals willing to visit New Zealand. In the latest development, the foreign ministry issued a press release yesterday saying, “Bangladesh nationals living in Australia and Bangladesh nationals travelling to Australia are advised to be vigilant at all times, particularly in public places, stay informed of potential risks to safety and security by monitoring the media and other local information sources.”

The High Commission of Bangladesh in Canberra remains at service and can be contacted at the following numbers for information: Phone: +61 424472544, +61 424472544, +61 450173035 for any sorts of information, the ministry said. The ministry issued the travel advice saying an Australian named Brenton Tarrant, has been charged for killing 50 people and injuring 48 others by his gun attacks on devotees in two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand on 15 March 2019.

Five people of Bangladesh origin died in the attacks while 3 more Bangladeshis were injured, says the release.  Before perpetrating the attacks, the Australian man declared himself a ‘racist’ in his 74 page manifesto containing slogans, poems and diatribes against immigrants and Muslims.