POST TIME: 7 December, 2018 00:00 00 AM
Father on three-day remand
Staff Reporter, Dhaka

Father on three-day remand

A Dhaka court granted a three-day remand for Nuruzzaman Kajal in a case was filed over his son Shafayet's mysterious death yesterday. Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Dhiman Chandra Mandal passed the order when police produced Kajal before court praying for a 10-day remand. Meanwhile doctors found no mark of sharp weapon injury was found in the body of Shafayet, the two-year-old child who was found dead in his Bangla Motor home yesterday, rather only a minor injury mark was there on the left side of his forehead.

Physicians are yet to determine the cause behind the death, said Sohel Mahmud, associate professor and head of forensic department at Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH), after autopsy was conducted on Shafayet’s body. “We are yet to ascertain the reason of his death. There was some problem in his liver and brain and a minor injury mark on the left side of his forehead. There was no sign of internal bleeding also. But his gallbladder is larger than normal and it happens only if he was starving. The child was suffering from malnutrition,” said Sohel Mahamud.

However, whether the minor injury led to Safayet’s eventual death or not can only be known after the histopathology tests.

A three-member medical board of DMCH conducted the autopsy on Shafayet. They have collected his liver, brain and heart to run histopathology tests so that the cause of death can be determined, said Sohel Mahmud.

There was no major sharp weapon-induced injury mark on Shafayet’s body and neither was there any injury mark from electrocution, Sohel said.

The police found the body of the two-and-a-half-year-old boy and rescued his brother from the capital’s Bangla Motor area on Wednesday.

The body of Shafayet was covered in a shroud and was lying on a table. His brother Surayet, 4, was sitting on the lap of their father, Nuruzzaman Kajal, said police.

Shafayet’s mother Maliha Akhter Priya filed the complaint with Shahbag Police Station last night saying that Kajal had killed their son, said Abul Hasan, officer-in charge (OC) of the police station. Later, the complaint was recorded as a case.

Earlier, the police said a man had threatened to stab the elder child with a sharp weapon. The police surrounded the two-storied building at Bangla Motor after being informed that a drug addict had killed the two-and-a-half-year-old child.  Later, Rapid Action Battalion personnel, members of the Bangladesh Fire Service and Civil Defence joined the police to rescue the elder child.

Maruf Hossain Sardar, deputy commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (Ramna division), told reporters Wednesday that they were yet to ascertain the cause of the boy’s death. Maruf said Nuruzzaman Kajal is mentally unstable and his wife had left him. Their two sons lived with Kajal.

Kajal claimed that his younger son died from electric shock and that he had not killed him.