logo
POST TIME: 6 September, 2018 00:00 00 AM
Dewty Mosque
Mamun Chowdhury

Dewty Mosque

The nearly 170-year-old Dewty Pal Para Chowdhury Bari Jame Mosque is a heritage site in Noakhali.

 The foundation of the mosque was laid in 1850 when Raja Anup Kumar Singh came from Delhi (India) to visit Pal Para in Begumganj, now Sonaimuri upazila, 35 kilometres from the district town of Maijdee Court.

The mosque has three domes. It is divided into two parts inside. Many devotees still come to the mosque for prayers. There is a pond on the west side, and a graveyard located on the south.  

Abdul Baki, imam of the mosque, told this writer that the outside of the mosque was constructed in the pattern of Delhi’s Shahi-era structures.

About 70 years ago, the mosque was repaired when the old bricks and mortar began to fall off, turning the building risky. It was renovated again in the 1970s, but most of the original designs were lost in the process. 

The writer is Noakhali district correspondent of The Independent newspaper.