POST TIME: 5 September, 2018 00:00 00 AM
SAFF Suzuki cup
Bangladesh beat Bhutan by 2-0
Sports Reporter

Bangladesh beat Bhutan by 2-0

Bangladesh footballers celebrate after scoring the first goal against Bhutan during their first match of SAFF Suzuki Cup at Bangabandhu National Stadium in the capital yesterday. The host ease past the visitor by 2-0 goals. Courtesy photo

Bangladesh eased past Bhutan by 2-0 goals to enjoy a dream start in the SAFF Suzuki Cup football championship yesterday at the Bangbandhu National Stadium.

Tapu Barman opened the scoring in the third minute when Mahbubur Rahman Sufil added another one in the early hours of second half to make a perfect start in the tournament.     

Bangladesh, who still feel the pain of the their woeful defeat at the hands of Bhutan for the first time out of their 12 times previous meetings, roused themselves in spectacular fashion, igniting the atmosphere in the process.   

It was a sparkling start of the match for Bangladesh when the host made the breakthrough with Tapu

Barman fired home a spot kick in the very second minute to have the flying start.

Bangladesh built up the first attack of the match from their own half down the right side and opponent’s defender forced making corner to survive from the danger but did not relief when a Bhutanese defender committed foul inside danger area.

This time Wali Faysal’s pinpointed flank kick spotted inside the box but a Bhutan defender brought down Saad Uddin on his way to take header and Thailand’s referee called for penalty and Tapu Barman blasted his right footer giving no chance the goalkeeper (1-0).

Bangladesh kept the momentum of taking lead when they played with better domination displaying some disciplined football and went very closer to double the lead just four minutes later but Mahbubur Rahman Sufil disappointed squandering  another easy opportunity when he received a Wali’s through pass in an open space and rushed into the box after leaving behind two of his markers with brilliant inside-outside dodge. He finally shot the ball straight to the advancing keeper rather than placing the ball into open net over his (goalkeeper) head on seventh minute.

Bangladesh keeping the ball in their possessions put Bhutan under huge pressure but sometimes misplaced their long passes to lose the ball missing some chances.

It was something motivating that Bangladesh scored their second goal just in the second minute after the first whistle of starting the second half, as their first goal came in the second minute of the first whistle of the match.

In fact, the chance of second goal was initiated from Atiqur Rahman Fahad’s long run to close down a Bhutan center back and Sufil got the ball inside the box and powered his volley at the far top corner of the net (2-0).

Rest of the time also Bangladesh played with almost clear domination, as Bhutan could make some counter attacks taking the advantage of their slip-up and could rare make any real threats.

Bangladesh could have increased their winning margin but a Wali Faisal’s cross was cut slightly to thump into Bhutan defender Tenzin Dorji who was running back, and spun inside the near post but the ball was out of on rushing Sufil’s reach.

Some of the good moves came in vain when it looked Bangladesh head coach Jamie’s progressed into the final third, only to find themselves lacking options in the penalty box, in absence of a perfect finisher, as trends of more possession, fewer chances, are probably signs of things to come – especially with Sufil and Masuk Meah Jony, as Bangladesh had to satisfy with 2-0 victory.