POST TIME: 10 July, 2018 00:00 00 AM / LAST MODIFIED: 10 July, 2018 01:14:58 AM
Ctg private hospitals, clinics call off strike

Ctg private hospitals, clinics call
off strike

Private hospitals, clinics and diagnostic centres in Chattogram called off their strike yesterday (Monday) after 19 hours, on receiving an assurance that their demands would be met. Around 12pm, the owners of private hospitals and clinics withdrew their strike. They had gone on an indefinite strike on Sunday evening in protest against a mobile court drive in Max Hospital, which has been blamed for massive irregularities that recently caused the death of a minor girl. “Considering the environmental conditions and the sufferings of the patients, we have suspended the strike temporarily at all the private hospitals, clinics and diagnostic centres,” said Dr Abul Kashem, president of the Private Hospital Owners’ Somity.

The mobile court of the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB), led by executive magistrate Sarweor Alam, had conducted a nearly four-hour-long drive at Max Hospital from 11:30am and fined it Tk. 10 lakh for massive irregularities. Among these, the hospital was being run without valid documents, competent doctors and nurses and a regular pharmacist, microbiologist and biochemist. On the same day, the mobile court also fined CSCR Diagnostic Centre and Hospital Tk. 4 lakh for anomalies.

Dr Abul Kashem, in a press release on Sunday, blamed journalists for conducting the mobile court at Max Hospital. The RAB, however, stated that the raid was part of its regular drive.

Because of the strike at all the private hospitals, clinics and diagnostic centres, patients underwent considerable suffering. Many patients were seen going to government hospitals as they did not receive treatment at private clinics. Sources at the Chattogram Medical College Hospital (CMCH) said over 4,500 patients were admitted to CMCH between 5pm on Sunday to 1pm on Monday. Usually, 600 to 700 patients take admission over a period of 24 hours.

Journalists of Chattogram are continuing with their movement demanding justice for Rafida Raifa Khan, daughter of journalist Rubel Khan, who died at Max Hospital following negligence and alleged wrong treatment. On Saturday, the hospital authorities temporarily relieved two of the three doctors after they were found to have been negligent, causing the death of Raifa Khan. The two doctors who were relieved were Dr Debashish Sengupta and Dr Shuvra Deb.

Protesting against the demand of Dr Abul Kashem and seeking closure of the hospital, the Chattogram Union of Journalists (CUJ), the Chattogram Press Club along with local citizens had announced a protest rally on the premises of the Chattogram Press Club on Monday at 11am. Following the assurance by the government, the rally was held at the Chattogram Press Club. The journalists also postponed all their other programmes that were being organised to demand justice for Raifa. CUJ president Nazim Uddin Shyamol said: “We have postponed the programme as the government has assured us that there would be justice for Raifa. A case will be filed under the law against the doctors who are responsible for the death.”

Suklal Das, general secretary of the Chattogram Press Club, Hasan Ferdous, general secretary of the CUJ, and Tapan Chakrabarty, joint secretary of the Bangladesh Federal Union of Journalists (BFUJ), were also present, among others.