POST TIME: 8 July, 2018 00:00 00 AM
Child Raifa death
Max Hospital suspends two doctors

Max Hospital suspends 
two doctors

Max Hospital in Chattogram yesterday temporarily relieved two of the three doctors after their negligence established in the death of two-and-half year-old girl Rafida Raifa Khan, who died at the hospital, allegedly due to wrong treatment and negligence on June 30.

The hospital authorities came up with the decision after the report of a three-member probe committee, led by Chittagong civil surgeon Dr Azizur Rahman Siddique, found evidence of negligence on the part of the on-duty physicians, nurses and hospital authorities in connection with the death of the toddler Raifa, the daughter of journalist Rubel Khan.

The Chattogram Union of Journalists (CUJ) announced the probe report on Friday morning after holding a press briefing at the Chittagong Press Club. Dr Liakat Ali,

managing director of the Max Hospital said after the allegation was made that Raifa had died due to wrong treatment and negligence, they initiated an internal probe and, as per the findings as per our internal probe report, temporarily relieved Dr Debashish Sengupta from his duties before the civil surgeon probe report was published.

“We also have also temporally suspended Dr Shuvra Deb after the report of the probe committee led by civil surgeon was made public,” added Liakat.

However, Dr Liakat said they had taken a decision not to call Dr Bidhan Roy to their hospital any more but had no right to take any action against him, as he did not hold any position at the hospital.

However, another director of the hospital, Abul Kashem Masud, said, “They have been asked not to join work. We are yet to take any decision of them.”

According to the probe report, the doctors concerned lacked requisite experience and did not show any sincerity when the toddler developed severe convulsion. The on-duty nurses did not have the knowledge or expertise to deal with the emergency at that juncture.

The probe report also revealed that the accused physician, Dr Bidhan Roy Chowdhury, did not treat the patient with all seriousness.

The three-member probe committee headed by Chittagong civil surgeon Dr Azizur Rahman Siddique was formed to investigate the allegations of wrong treatment. The two other members were the head of the child health department at the Chittagong Medical College Hospital (CMCH), Dr Pranab Kumar Chowdhury, and the joint secretary of Chittagong Journalists’ Union (CUJ), Sabur Shuvo.