logo
POST TIME: 1 July, 2018 00:00 00 AM / LAST MODIFIED: 30 June, 2018 11:54:26 PM
quota-reform movement
15 injured in BCL attack
Indefinite boycott of classes, exams announced at all colleges, varsities
DU Correspondent

15 injured in BCL attack

An activist of quota reform movement is roughed up allegedly by a group of Bangladesh Chhatra League men in front of the Central Library on the Dhaka University campus yesterday. Focus Bangla Photo

At least 15 anti-quota students were injured in brutal assaults by alleged Bangladesh Chhatra League activists on Dhaka University campus yesterday. All the victims belonged to Bangladesh Sadharan Chhatra Odhikar Sangrakkhan Parishad, which has been spearheading a students’ movement against quota in government jobs since April.

The victims were identified as Parishad convener Hasan Al Mamun, joint convener Nurul Huq Nur, Jasim Uddin, Muhammad Arosh, Saddam Hossain, Ataullah, Arif, Abdullah, Mahfuz, Shahed and Haider. Of them, Nur, Jasim, Mamun, Arosh and Saddam were rushed to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) in critical condition.

In protest against the attack, Parishad leaders called for an indefinite boycott of classes and examinations in all colleges and universities in the country from today. Quota reform leader Sumon Kabir also announced that students will form human chains across the country.

Kabir accused a group of BCL leaders and activists of attacking the anti-quota students in front of the DU central library. Two anti-quota leaders were beaten up in front of the public library at Shahbagh in the city.

Kabir named DU Haji Muhammad Mohsin Hall BCL general secretary Mehedi Hasan Sani, Bangabandhu Hall general secretary Al Amin Rahman and Sir AF Rahman Hall general secretary Mahmudul Hasan Tusaar,

and BCL central committee vice presidents Mehedi Hasan Rony and Imtiaz Bulbul for leading the attack.

Parishad convener Mamun claimed that they came under attack while preparing to hold a press briefing on the DU central library premises against the government’s failure to issue a gazette notification on quota reformation.

Eyewitness said acting chief librarian Prof SM Jabed Ahmad, who tried to rescue the victims, was also assaulted.

BCL leaders, however, denied their involvement in the attack. “No BCL activists were present during the attack on the quota reform leaders,” claimed BCL president Saifur Rahman Sohag. BCL general secretary SM Jakir Hossain added: “We heard two factions of the quota reform movement clashed among themselves.”

The BCL leaders warned that they would resist attempts to boycott classes and examinations in the name of anti-quota movement and assist the administration of educational institutions to prevent the boycott.

On his part, DU proctor Prof AKM Golam Rabbani said some students were trying to destroy the congenial educational environment of the university. “However, such an incident is very much unexpected,” he added.

The anti-quota platform had started an indefinite boycott of classes and examinations in all colleges and universities on May 14 after the government failed to issue a gazette notification on the Prime Minister’s April 11 announcement on quota abolition in government jobs. It had given an ultimatum for the publication of the notification by May 13.

On May 21, the protesters had postponed their decision of boycotting examinations considering Ramadan and the prospect of “session jams” the strike may cause.

At present, 56 per cent of government jobs are reserved for candidates from various categories, while the remaining 44 per cent of general applicants are selected from the merit list.