Sunday 5 July 2020 ,
Sunday 5 July 2020 ,
Latest News
  • Coronavirus: 29 more die, 3,288 new cases detected in 24hrs
  • Coronavirus: 29 more die, 3,288 new cases detected in 24hrs
  • Coronavirus: Capital's Wari put under 21-day lockdown
  • Railways development comes into focus in new fiscal
  • Bangladesh gearing up for new era of taxation
  • Bangladesh now 8th in global weekly increase of Covid-19 cases: WHO
  • Covid-19 death toll nears 2,000 in Bangladesh
  • Covid-19 Bangladesh: Total cases raise to 1,56,391 as death toll now 1,968
  • Global coronavirus fatalities surge to 524,614
  • Coronavirus Hotline Numbers: 01944333222, 16263, 333; website: www.corona.gov.bd
7 March, 2019 00:00 00 AM
Print

16 killed in Afghan suicide attack

AFP, Jalalabad

At least 16 people were killed in a suicide attack early yesterday on a construction company in eastern Afghanistan, an official said, the latest bloody assault in the war-torn country.

The hours-long assault in Jalalabad began early Wednesday when at least two blasts were heard, an AFP reporter said, before security forces rushed to the scene in the city, which is the capital of Nangarhar province.

“Sixteen employees of the company have been killed and nine more injured,” provincial spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told AFP. A second official said there had been casualties but could not immediately verify the toll.

“All five attackers have been killed by security forces,” Khogyani added.

He said a clearance operation was ongoing with security defusing two suicide vests, one car bomb, and multiple mines planted by the attackers.

“Armed suicide bombers attacked and managed to enter the building of a private construction company early this morning,” said Nangarhar Provincial council member Zabihullah Zmarai.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack. Both the Islamic State group and the Taliban are active in Nangarhar province. The bombings come as US and Taliban negotiations continue to hold ongoing peace talks in Qatar aimed at ending the nearly 18-year conflict.

Despite a two-day break before the weekend, negotiations continue on “a daily basis right now and progress is being made”, US State Department spokesman Robert Palladino told journalists Tuesday. “These discussions are ongoing and what we’re focusing on are the four interconnected issues that are going to compose any future agreement,” Palladino said—listing them as terrorism, troop withdrawal, intra-Afghan dialogue and ceasefire.

 

Comments


Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting