Sunday 8 December 2019 ,
Sunday 8 December 2019 ,
Latest News
  • Govt plans to introduce virtual court: PM
  • BNP to stage nationwide demo tomorrow
  • Mabia, Ziarul bag gold in weightlifting while Fatema secures gold in fencing
  • Using all tools against Myanmar for resolving Rohingya crisis: Canada
  • Military base shooter assailed US as 'nation of evil'
  • India woman, set ablaze by men accused of raping her, dies
  • One killed in Meghna launch collision
  • 3 family members found dead in Barishal
  • Military base shooter assailed US as 'nation of evil'
  • Petrobangla building fire extinguished
  • Diesel-based power too costly for PDB
13 January, 2019 00:00 00 AM
Print

Smith’s BPL stint comes to an end as he undergoes surgery

Sports Reporter, Dhaka
Smith’s BPL stint comes to an end as he undergoes surgery
Steve Smith made debut in the Bangladesh Premier League for Comilla Victorians on January 6 but due to an elbow injury he cannot resume the tournament further. AFP PHOTO

Former Australian skipper Steven Smith will not be able to take part in the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) any longer this season as he is set to undergo a surgery to fix his elbow injury. With less than three months to serve on his year-long suspension, the news came as a blow for not only Comilla Victorians but also for the Australian side who is now in jeopardised state as far as the batting is concerned.

The Australian, who was the Comilla Victorians captain, flew back home on Sunday night and the franchise were hoping that he would not be needing surgery.

Cricket Australia website said that the surgery to repair a ligament in his right elbow is scheduled to take place on Tuesday, following which he will be in a brace for six weeks which will render him unable to participate in the BPL anymore.

In Smith’s absence, Imrul Kayes led the side on Friday’s five-wicket victory over Rajshahi Kings.

The injury is a major blow to Smith, whose 12-month suspension for his involvement in the Cape Town ball-tampering scandal will end on March 28.

The setback comes with less than six months to go before Australia's World Cup title defence in England, which is immediately followed by an away Ashes series.

The 29-year-old played only two matches for the Comilla Victorians in the BPL, where he scored 16 and 0.

The ban handed down by Cricket Australia in the wake of the Newlands incident precludes Smith and former teammate David Warner from playing international cricket and domestic cricket in Australia.

Both players have instead played in Canada, the Caribbean and Bangladesh in T20 competitions, and on home soil they have played NSW Premier Cricket with success.

While it's uncertain when and where Smith and Warner will return to the national team, limited-overs captain Aaron Finch said last month both players will be warmly welcomed back.

 

Comments


Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting