Thursday 25 February 2021 ,
Thursday 25 February 2021 ,
Latest News
  • Ex BB Deputy Governor Ibrahim Khaled no more
  • Noted columnist and writer Syed Abul Maksud passes away
  • Covid-19 vaccination: 2nd dose to begin on Apr 7
  • Covid-19 claims 18 more lives in Bangladesh
18 December, 2018 00:00 00 AM
Print

Israel demolishes West Bank home of Palestinian attacker

UN appeals for reduced funds for Palestinians amid US cuts
AFP, Nablus, Ramallah
Israel demolishes West Bank home of Palestinian attacker
Palestinian people inspect the flat of Ashraf Naalwa after Israeli forces destroyed it in the village of Shuwaykah, near the West Bank city of Tulkarem, yesterday. AFP photo

Israeli forces destroyed the home of a Palestinian accused of killing two Israelis, in an army raid that triggered clashes overnight yesterday, an AFP journalist said. Three people were injured by rubber bullets, official Palestinian news agency Wafa said. Hundreds of soldiers surrounded the house in a suburb of Tulkarm in the north of the West Bank, the AFP journalist said. The army destroyed the walls of Ashraf Naalwa's home on the ground and first floors of the house, before withdrawing on Monday morning. The Israeli military did not immediately comment on the operation.

Naalwa, 23, was killed by the Israeli army last Thursday after a two-month manhunt. He was accused of killing two Israeli colleagues in an industrial zone near the northern West Bank Jewish settlement of Barkan. The Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas claimed Naalwa as one of its fighters.

Speaking at a cabinet meeting on Sunday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he had ordered "the acceleration of the demolition of terrorists' homes" in the wake of the recent wave of attacks.

Late Sunday, Israeli ministers gave initial approval to a bill that would allow the army to move family members of Palestinian attackers to a different West Bank location.

Education Minister Naftali Bennett, whose Jewish Home faction was behind the bill, said it would help deter would-be assailants. Meanwhile, the United Nations yesterday urged donor states to give $350 million in aid for Palestinians in 2019, saying it needed more but had to be "realistic" following swathing US cuts.

The UN said the appeal, down from $539 million in 2018, was due to a lack of available donor funds across the globe. The United States has announced

it will cut almost all of its aid to Palestinians, having previously provided around $500 million a year through different mechanisms including the UN agency for Palestinian refugees UNRWA. The appeal for funds, called the Humanitarian Response Plan and done in conjunction with Palestinian authorities, received in the past $100 million in US funding. Jamie McGoldrick, UN humanitarian coordinator for the Palestinian territories, said due to a lack of donors the UN had to be more “realistic” when asking for funds.

 

Comments


Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting