Friday 19 April 2019 ,
Friday 19 April 2019 ,
Latest News
  • Nusrat murder: Sonagazi AL chief Ruhul Amin held
  • PM receives treatment buying own ticket at NIOH
  • Govt imposes no media censorship: Minister
  • Journalist shot dead in Northern Ireland rioting
  • 36,746 vacant posts in ministries, says State Minister
11 September, 2018 00:00 00 AM
Print

Gunmen storms Libya’s oil firm, 2 dead

AFP
Gunmen storms Libya’s oil firm, 2 dead
Firefighters and rescuers gather in front of the headquarters of Libya's National Oil Company in the capital Tripoli yesterday. AFP PHOTO

TRIPOLI: Armed men yesterday stormed the headquarters of Libya's National Oil Company in Tripoli killing at least two people, officials said, as witnesses spoke of hearing a blast and gunfire, reports AFP.

The attack targeted the country's vital oil sector, repeatedly disrupted by violence since a 2011 uprising against toppled late dictator Moamer Kadhafi.

Witnesses said the building near the city centre had caught fire and was rapidly surrounded by security services, who evacuated its staff, including the NOC chairman Mustafa Sanallah.

Two people were killed and 10 wounded, the health ministry said. Sanallah confirmed to the Libya 218 news channel that staff members had been killed and others wounded, some of whom were in a "serious condition".

"The security services are looking for gunmen in the building, but our priority is to evacuate the civilians stuck inside," said Ahmed Ben Salem, a spokesman for the Deterrence Force, a militia that operates as Tripoli's police force. "The situation is under control," he added.

He was not able to provide details on the identity of the attackers.

The Deterrence Force labelled the incident a "terrorist" attack and posted on its Facebook page photos it said showed the remains of suicide bombers.

An oil company official, who asked not to be named, said masked gunmen had exchanged fire with guards and attacked the firm's headquarters.

"I jumped out of the window with other colleagues, and then we heard an explosion," the official said.

No group has so far claimed the attack.

Early this month, days of clashes between rival armed groups in Tripoli left at least 63 people dead before a fragile UN-backed ceasefire took hold.

The attack on the NOC headquarters comes four months after suicide bombers struck the headquarters of Libya's electoral commission, killing 14 in an attack claimed by the Islamic State (IS) group.

The group overran Sirte, Kadhafi's hometown, 600 kilometres (370 miles) east of Tripoli, in 2015. IS was ousted by government forces and allied militias in December 2016, but has continued to carry out attacks.

 

Comments

Poll
Today's Question »
State minister for power Nasrul Hamid yesterday said everyone to have access to electricity by June. Do you think the feat achievable by the timeframe?
 Yes
 No
 No Comment
Yes 52.8%
No 43.3%
No Comment 4.0%
Most Viewed
Digital Edition
Archive
SunMonTueWedThuFri Sat
010203040506
07080910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930

Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting