Thursday 17 October 2019 ,
Thursday 17 October 2019 ,
Latest News
  • FIFA President meets PM Hasina
  • 35 killed in bus crash near Saudi's Mecca
  • BUET students take oath to thwart criminal activities
  • Early Rohingya return better for Bangladesh
  • ‘Country self-sufficient in meat, crops, vegetables production’
  • MRP booklet crisis worries expats
  • BSTI fines 4 fuel pumps for cheating in filling
  • UN for joint efforts to eradicate poverty
  • Nusrat murder: Order on OC Moazzem’s bail petition Nov 3
  • PM urges all to be responsible on road to avert accident
  • Japan typhoon death toll climbs to 74
10 September, 2018 00:00 00 AM
Print

84 dead in fighting in Yemen after talks fail

AFP

Clashes and air strikes have left 84 people dead around Yemen's Red Sea port city of Hodeida since the collapse of UN-brokered peace talks, hospital sources said yesterday, reports AFP from Khokha, Yemen. The sources in Hodeida province, controlled by Huthi rebels, said 11 soldiers and 73 insurgents had been killed since the talks were abandoned on Saturday. Dozens of rebels and at least 17 soldiers had been wounded. The pro-government coalition, which includes Saudi and UAE air forces, has been pushing to close in on Hodeida, the entry point for some 70 percent of Yemen's imports including food and aid, since June.

The coalition on Sunday was positioned to attempt to seize the main road linking Sanaa, the rebel-held capital, to the port city, a military official told AFP. The road is a key supply route for the Huthis. In July, the coalition announced a temporary ceasefire in Hodeida to give a chance to UN-brokered peace talks.

But UN attempts to hold peace talks between Yemen's Saudi-backed government and the Huthis, linked to Saudi Arabia's archrival Iran, were abandoned on Saturday, sparking fears of an escalation in the conflict.

The rebels refused to leave Yemen for Geneva, saying the UN had not met their demands -- including a plane to transport their wounded to nearby Oman and a guarantee their delegation would be allowed to return to Sanaa. In 2014, the Huthis seized control of a string of Red Sea ports and the capital, driving the government out of Sanaa and the president into exile. In 2015, Saudi Arabia and its allies intervened in the conflict to bolster President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi, recognised by the UN as Yemen’s president. They now control Yemen’s airspace. Nearly 10,000 people have since been killed and the country now stands at the brink of famine.    

Comments

More Front Page stories
The-BNP led 20-party alliance yesterday night decided to intensify the efforts for forging a greater national unity with other political parties to 'restore' democracy and ensure a fair election,…

Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting