Wednesday 26 September 2018 ,
Wednesday 26 September 2018 ,
Latest News
  • Rising temperature to affect 134m people in Bangladesh: WB
  • PM urges int’l community to ensure easy transfer of technology
  • US stance on Rohingya not strong enough, activists say
  • Trump, Rouhani exchange threats, insults at UN
  • 'US report proves urgent need for Rohingya justice mechanism'
4 September, 2018 00:00 00 AM
Print

Boko Haram military base attack death toll hits 48

AFP
Boko Haram military base attack death toll hits 48

KANO: Forty-eight soldiers were killed in a Boko Haram attack in remote northeast Nigeria, military sources said yesterday, in the latest strike that raises questions about the group's apparent resurgence and troops' ability to fight back, reports AFP.

Scores of jihadist fighters in trucks stormed the base on Thursday in Zari village in northern Borno state and briefly seized it after a fierce battle. Boko Haram, which has been waging a deadly insurgency in northeast Nigeria since 2009, has intensified attacks on "hard" military targets in recent months, undermining repeated claims by the military that they have the upper hand.

Troops have even protested that they are stretched to breaking point by constant security duties and the attacks that analysts tracking the conflict say have become more sophisticated and planned.

At least 30 Nigerian soldiers were initially said to have been killed in Thursday's raid, which was claimed by a Boko Haram faction backed by the Islamic State group.

"The casualty toll now stands at 48 with the recovery of 17 more bodies of soldiers in surrounding bushes in Zari by search and rescue teams," a military source who did not want to be named told AFP.

"Search operations are still ongoing and more bodies are likely to be recovered."

Another military source confirmed the new death toll.

"So far (the) bodies of 48 troops have been recovered. Yesterday rescue teams found 17 bodies of fallen soldiers," he said, adding that they included two officers and 46 soldiers. "When the troops were overwhelmed by the terrorists they withdrew in different directions."

The militants were said to have taken weapons and military equipment before they were pushed out of the base by troops with aerial support. The sources said the extremists were pursued and bombarded by a fighter jet.

 

Comments

Poll
Today's Question »
Attorney General Mahbubey Alam has alleged that former Chief Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha has tarnished the image of the country's judiciary. Do you agree?
 Yes
 No
 No Comment
Yes 6.5%
No 93.5%
No Comment 0.0%
Most Viewed
Digital Edition
Archive
SunMonTueWedThuFri Sat
01
02030405060708
09101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30

Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting