Friday 26 April 2019 ,
Friday 26 April 2019 ,
Latest News
  • Intelligence agencies alert to prevent terror attack: PM
  • Zahidur a 'mass enemy': BNP
  • BNP’s Zahidur takes oath as MP
  • PM opens first-ever non-stop train service on Dhaka-Rajshahi route
  • 4 workers killed as truck ploughs into Ctg house
8 July, 2018 00:00 00 AM
Print

Regime, rebel reaches ceasefire deal

Thousands head home in south Syria
AFP
Regime, rebel reaches ceasefire deal
Syrians prepare to leave their refugee camp in the city of Arsal in Lebanon's Bekaa valley on the eastern border with Syria yesterday as they return to their homes in Syria's Qalamoun region. AFP PHOTO

BEIRUT: Thousands of displaced Syrians were heading home Saturday after rebels and the government reached a ceasefire deal in the south following more than two weeks of deadly bombardment, reports AFP quoting a monitor.

Under the agreement announced Friday after talks between rebels and regime ally Moscow, opposition fighters will hand over territory and heavy weapons in Daraa province near the Jordanian border.

The Russia-backed regime offensive has displaced around 320,000 people since June 19, the United Nations says, including tens of thousands who fled south to the sealed border with Jordan.

Calm reigned over the region on Saturday as the two sides finalised the ceasefire deal, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said.

“People have started to return to their homes since yesterday, taking advantage of the calm,” Observatory chief Rami Abdel Rahman said.

“More than 20,000 people have set off for home so far, heading to areas for which an accord has been reached in the southeastern Daraa countryside,” he said. But others “are scared to return to regime-controlled areas, fearing their children will be arrested,” Abdel Rahman said.

The accord follows a string of similar deals with rebels for other areas of Syria, which have seen the regime retake more than 60 percent of the country, according to the Observatory.

A government takeover of Daraa would be a symbolic victory for President Bashar al-Assad as the province was the cradle of the uprising against him seven years ago that led to civil war.

More than 150 civilians have been killed in the regime bombing campaign on Daraa since June 19, the Observatory says.

Under Friday’s deal, rebels are expected to hand over their heavy weapons, while those who reject the agreement will be bused with their families to the rebel-held northwestern province of Idlib, state media has said.

 

Comments

Poll
Today's Question »
State minister for power Nasrul Hamid yesterday said everyone to have access to electricity by June. Do you think the feat achievable by the timeframe?
 Yes
 No
 No Comment
Yes 52.1%
No 44.0%
No Comment 3.9%
Most Viewed
Digital Edition
Archive
SunMonTueWedThuFri Sat
010203040506
07080910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930

Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting