Sunday 16 December 2018 ,
Sunday 16 December 2018 ,
Latest News
  • Parties vie to capture lion’s share of growing youth vote
  • Dr Kamal wants to meet President Dec 17
  • BNP pushing politics towards crime den: PM
  • JP to form provincial govt if voted to power
  • Oikyafront road march to Mymensingh today
  • 30m babies born prematured or sick globally every year: Study
  • Pile of cases adds to litigants’ woes
7 March, 2018 00:00 00 AM
Print

US-backed Syria force to redeploy 1,700

AFP
US-backed Syria force to redeploy 1,700
A general view shows several destroyed buildings in Douma, in the rebel enclave of Eastern Ghouta on the outskirts of Damascus on Monday. AFP PHOTO

RAQA: A US-backed alliance of Syrian forces announced yesterday it would redeploy around 1,700 fighters from front lines against the Islamic State group to a Kurdish enclave under Turkish attack, reports AFP.

Turkey and allied Syrian rebels are waging a weeks-long offensive on Afrin, which is held by a Kurdish militia that makes up the bulk of the Syrian Democratic Forces.

At a press conference on Tuesday, the SDF announced it would pull fighters out of areas of eastern Syria, where they have been fighting pockets of IS jihadists, in order to shore up defences in Afrin.

“We took the difficult decision to pull our forces out of Deir Ezzor province and battlefronts against Daesh (IS) to head to the Afrin battle,” said Abu Omar al-Idlibi, an SDF commander, saying his units numbered 1,700 fighters.

Idlibi spoke to AFP in the football stadium in Raqa, which the SDF recaptured from IS in October with help from the US-led international coalition.

“We fought Daesh. We helped the coalition in Raqa, but without the coalition defending its partners,” Idlibi said.

“Our people in Afrin are our priority. Protecting them is more important than the international coalition’s decisions.”

Ankara and allied Syrian rebels launched their offensive against the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) in Afrin on January 20 and have since captured a strip along the border between the enclave and Turkish territory. The operation has so far captured 40 percent of the enclave, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based war monitor said on Tuesday.

 

Comments

Poll
Today's Question »
CEC KM Nurul Huda said journalists cannot go for live telecast and telephonic conversations from polling booths during the general election. Do you support this?
 Yes
 No
 No Comment
Yes 4.8%
No 85.7%
No Comment 9.5%
Most Viewed
Digital Edition
Archive
SunMonTueWedThuFri Sat
01
02030405060708
09101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031

Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting