Thursday 23 May 2019 ,
Thursday 23 May 2019 ,
Latest News
  • Parliament gets Tk 328 cr budget for FY20
  • Modi claims victory, vows to build 'inclusive' India
  • Mobile networks in Asia, Europe suspending Huawei smartphones order
  • ADB provides $400mn loan for Ctg-Cox’s Bazar rail link
  • Maintain discipline on roads during Eid: Quader
  • HC summons BFSA chief over substandard foods
2 August, 2017 00:00 00 AM
Print

Qatar files WTO complaint over Gulf trade ‘siege’

AFP

AFP, DOHA: Qatar has filed a complaint with the World Trade Organization over an "illegal siege" imposed by its Gulf neighbours, the commerce ministry said on Monday.

The gas-rich emirate has been slapped with sanctions and demands after four countries including regional kingpin Saudi Arabia cut ties with it on June 5, accusing Doha of fostering Islamist groups and of links to Riyadh's arch-rival Iran. Qatar denies the allegations.

The Ministry of Economy and Commerce said a complaint had been lodged with the WTO's Dispute Settlement Body against the "siege countries".

The Saudi-led bloc has demanded the termination of regional news giant Al-Jazeera, the downgrading of Iran ties and the closure of a Turkish military base in the country.

The countries have also recalled their ambassadors from Doha, ordered all Qataris to return home and banned Qatar from using their airspace.

"The complaint accuses the siege countries of violating the WTO's core laws and conventions on trade of goods and services, and trade-related aspects of intellectual property," the Qatar ministry said.

"The arbitrary measures taken by the siege countries are a clear violation of the provisions and conventions of international trade law.

"Furthermore, the illegal siege is unprecedented in the framework of economic blocs," Qatar's economic and commerce minister Sheikh Ahmed bin Jassem bin Mohammed Al-Thani said in the statement.

The diplomatic crisis between Doha and its neighbours is the biggest to have hit the Gulf Cooperation Council in decades.

 

Comments

Poll
Today's Question »
State minister for power Nasrul Hamid yesterday said everyone to have access to electricity by June. Do you think the feat achievable by the timeframe?
 Yes
 No
 No Comment
Yes 50.5%
No 45.6%
No Comment 3.9%
Most Viewed
Digital Edition
Archive
SunMonTueWedThuFri Sat
01020304
05060708091011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031

Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting